Saturday, March 18, 2006

Chicken Tortilla Lasagna

Once every leap year (so it seems) I get to lie about the house like a useless lump while my wife cooks for us. So, a guest-post by Karen:

I have been making this dish for YEARS! My aunt and uncle first introduced it to me when I was a starving student in college. They invited me over for Sunday night dinner and it took maybe an hour to get it on the table. I was a little short on the food budget that week so by the time I had a plate of it in front of me…well, half of it was gone before the plate hit the table! It was so easy to make I was soon making it for my girlfriends. Later on it became my “Impress my date with my cooking skills” dish! Jason, I’m sure, remembers the first time I made it for him. You can adjust the heat level by the type of salsa you use and the type of chiles you add. To make it a little bit healthier I also use fat free sour cream and whole wheat wraps. Enjoy!

Karen

3 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup grated chedder cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 cups sour cream
4 oz. can diced green chiles, drained
3/4 tsp cumin
12 oz. jar salsa
8 - 8" tortillas
1/2 cup grated chedder cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 400 C. In large bowl combine chicken, cheese, green onions, sour cream, chiles and cumin.

Pour 1 cup salsa in bottom of 10" glass pie plate. Lay one tortilla over salsa, coating that one side. Place that tortilla, salsa side down, in a round casserole dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on top. Repeat with layers of tortilla and chicken mixture until ingrediants are consumed. Top with leftover salsa from the pie plate, and the 1/2 cup of reserved cheese.

Bake for 35 minutes, let stand for 10 more minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with additional salsa and cold sour cream.


No comments: