Monday, December 19, 2005

Steak with Braised Leeks

Leeks are one of those "exotic" things I never ever had in my house growing up. In fact, the first time I've had them in my life was the first time I met Karen's parents...her mom had made a leek and potato soup. Where I was raised, my grandfather was the cook, so the cooking style was dated roughly 1940 (he'd learned a thing or two from the army cooks, and before that, lumber camps). I was a teenager before I found out that garlic wasn't really a powder (thank you, Wok with Yan).

The braised leek recipe is here. And the marinade I used for the steaks, here. The corn is just pan-fried with onions and some red peppers, then tossed in is some salt, pepper, chili powder, and paprika. I also roasted some squash for a side dish (chop in half, then in slices...toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, wrap in foil and fire it in the oven for an hour).

No comments: