Sunday, December 18, 2005

Beef Kabobs and Couscous


Two recipes at once for today, and this was just for lunch. Clearly, I'm riding a wave of post-sickness kitchen energy here. So, how was it? Awesome, thank you. As I was making this it occured to me I've never made couscous before, which is hard to explain. I make things from pretty much every culture on the planet (excluding Inuit...hard to find good seal at Price Chopper), but so far I've managed to cook around it in some way.

The idea for making the actual kabobs came from a Good Eats episode, and the recipe is here (broiled them rather then grilled...hey, there's like 2 feet of snow around my BBQ). The recipe for the couscous is below (and I also grilled some red peppers seperately).

Couscous With Spices

1 small onion, minced
1 carrot, shredded
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups hot water or chicken stock
1 cup quick-cooking couscous
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
2 to 3 tsp ground cumin
2 to 3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toasted pine nuts, optional

Heat oil in saucepan. Stir in onion, carrot and celery. Cook until just tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in couscous, pour in water and cover.
Let rest 5 minutes then add herbs and spices. Season with salt and pepper.

Fluff with fork and sprinkle with pine nuts. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: