Can you have too much meat loaf? Perhaps according to your doctor, but it was a rhetorical question so let's move on. I have in the past already done a meat loaf, but this one was quite different so I'll add it as a separate entry. This one was sweet and mild, seasoning-wise. It would be good for kids. I kept some of the brown sugar / ketchup mixture in reserve and brushed it on the top for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
* 3/4 cup milk
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 3/4 cup finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
2. Press the brown sugar in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan and spread the ketchup over the sugar.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix thoroughly all remaining ingredients and shape into a loaf. Place on top of the ketchup.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until juices are clear.